At the start of 2021, SoWe acquired a vacant lot on the corner of Filbert and Fremont Sts. in the heart of the Cabbage Hill neighborhood in SoWe. You may remember this site because it housed a large billboard. SoWe first requested the removal of the billboard from the owner as it was beginning to fall. The billboard was unsightly in a dense residential neighborhood. After negotiations Lamar Advertising agreed to remove the billboard and donate the lot to the neighborhood.
The Southwest Revitalization Strategy for parks and public realm calls for creating additional open space amenities for the neighborhood. The SoWe Parks Committee has been diligently working to identify potential open space areas since its inception in 2016. The committee is excited to work with the community to create a small pocket park on this lot.
SoWe Parks Committee worked to engage the neighborhood to gather feedback on the space. The committee held a community engagement session in June of 2021 and gathered residents to hear feedback and watch films that celebrated Black filmmakers in honor of Juneteenth. Additionally, SoWe engaged residents and partners with experience with urban landscape design to act as a steering committee to guide the plan. The community envisioned a space that would be a healing place for reflection, provide additional green space and plantings, and public art.
We are excited to announce that we are ready to ‘break ground’ this April. The first phase of the plan is landscaping. On April 22nd, we are inviting community members for a volunteer workday to plant and spread mulch. We hope that you will join us to establish this pocket park as a healing garden and celebrate as a community. We will be joined by our partners the City of Lancaster, Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay, and Penn State Master Gardeners. Following the planting day, we will continue to engage residents and a local artist to explore public art opportunities.
Installation of the Artful Intersection planned for the top of Cabbage Hill will commence on Sept. 11, followed by a Community Paint Day on Sept. 18. Motorists should be advised of street closures in the area on both days.
September 11 | 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
– W. Vine St. at E. Filbert St.
– W. Strawberry St. between Vine St. and St. Joseph St.
September 18 | 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
– W. Vine St. at E. Filbert St., and between St. Joseph St. to W. Strawberry St./Mulberry St. intersection
– W. Strawberry St. at High St., and between Vine St. and St. Joseph St.
– S. Mulberry St. at King St.
Residents living on W. Vine St. may use the St. Joseph’s Church parking lot as a detour thru to St. Joseph St. between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. on both days of closure. All motorists should follow posted detours on both days of closure.
A street mural created by artist Fern Dannis in partnership with Peter Barber of Two Dudes Painting Company using input from the community will help improve pedestrian safety and enhance public space at the intersection of W. Strawberry St., W. Vine St. and S. Mulberry St.
This five-way intersection is a sometimes-confusing space integral to neighborhood and city-wide traffic circulation. The artful intersection is expected to expand the perceived public space to encompass the street; increase awareness and safety of alternative forms of transportation, and boost community development.
The project team welcomes the community to attend the Community Paint Day on September 18. Those wishing to volunteer can sign up at here.
Dannis and Barber were selected by a project team, including site neighbors, arts professionals and a Public Art Advisory Board (PAAB) member.
This project is part of the Bloomberg Foundation’s Asphalt Art Initiative grant program, which embraces art as an effective and relatively low-cost strategy to activate their streets. The City of Lancaster is one of 16 cities to receive this grant, in partnership with SoWe, a resident-led community initiative of Tenfold (formerly Tabor/LHOP).
For more information about Artful Intersections and the project process, visit engage.cityoflancasterpa.com/en/projects/artful-intersections-cabbage-hill.
The City of Lancaster is working with local artist, Fern Dannis, along with Two Dudes Painting Company to create an artful intersection at the Strawberry Hill intersection. This project is part of the Bloomberg Foundation’s Asphalt Art Initiative to create street murals and other creative interventions to improve pedestrian safety and enhance public spaces.
The intersection of West Strawberry Street, West Vine Street, and South Mulberry Street sits at the top of Cabbage Hill. This five-way intersection is a confusing space for pedestrians and vehicles and is integral to the neighborhood and city-wide traffic circulation. Public engagement is beginning June 3rd, with the artwork being designed over the summer. The final application of paint-to-asphalt is set for September 11, 2021.
Cant make the community events but still want to provide feedback? Fill out this survey.
What is an artful intersection? Artful Intersections connect artists and neighbors to work together to create street murals in their neighborhoods. The street murals serve as a reflection of the life and culture of the neighborhood; it is expected to expand the perceived public space to encompass the street; increase awareness and safety of alternative forms of transportation, and boost community development.
To learn more about the project, please visit https://engage.cityoflancasterpa.com. We are asking residents to respond to a community survey to provide input on pedestrian safety and the artwork for the intersection.
was nothing but forest, farmland, and pasture until 1762 when Bethelstown was
laid out with 66 building lots on the first two blocks of what would become
Manor and High Streets. Bethelstown grew slowly; by 1815, more than 50 years
after its founding, there were only about 25-30 houses on its 66 lots. Nearly
all of the houses were one-story houses made of logs and rough-sawn wood.
Most of the
original houses on Manor and High were later replaced by two- and three-story
brick houses built in the second half of the nineteenth century. However, at
least one of the charter-member houses of old Bethelstown lasted well into the
twentieth century before being razed—a log house with weatherboarding that used
to stand at 442 Manor before it was taken down in 1963 to make room for a
the question: Was 442 Manor the only survivor of the original 25-30 one-story
houses from old Bethelstown, or is it possible that more of the original
one-story houses are still present, hiding behind modern vinyl siding and
form-stone? Most of the historical sources needed to answer this question are
available online. The only one not completely online is county tax lists, and
the staff of LancasterHistory was kind enough to supply the lists for the years
not yet online.
Maps, I was surprised to discover that 27 one-story houses are still present in
the 400 and 500 blocks of Manor and High. Of the 27, nine are single houses,
fourteen are in seven house pairs, and four are grouped together in a connected
row of houses. Using newspaper articles, city directories, street maps,
property deeds, and other sources, I was able to determine that 20 of the 27
current one-story houses in the first two blocks of Manor and High were built
in 1850 or later, and therefore are not old enough to be original houses from
old Bethelstown. The remaining seven possibilities—two on Manor and five on
High—were investigated in more detail.
Of the seven
houses that predate 1850, five were found to have been built in the 1840s,
leaving just two—433 and 435 High Street—that had the potential to be old
enough to be original Bethelstown houses. A couple of key deeds and tax records
show that these two one-story houses, which are next-door neighbors on the
northwest side of the 400 block of High, were built on Bethelstown lot 28, and
that both houses were already present in 1840. The deeds show that 433 is a log
house, adding to the potential that it could have been built quite a bit before
things a little more challenging, detailed maps and city directories do not
exist before 1840, and many pre-1840 deeds that would be helpful seem to have
gone unrecorded or have been lost. Consequently, tax lists took on a more
important role in tracking these two houses before 1840. The continuity from
year to year in the amount of ground rent paid for the lot, as well as the
assessed value of the houses, enabled me to trace 433 and 435 High back in time
before 1840 with some success. Also helpful were occasional notes written by
the tax assessor when the properties were bought or sold.
is that “YES” is my answer to the question of whether any of the 25-30 houses
from the pre-1815 days of old Bethelstown have survived. The weight of the
evidence points to the one-story log house at 433 High as the oldest surviving
house on the Hill. It appears to have been built no later than about 1801, and
possibly earlier. Not surprisingly, because they are neighboring houses on the
same original lot, the one-story frame house at 435 High also is old, having
been built about 1814. I believe these two are the oldest surviving houses on
Cabbage Hill—older by at least a couple decades than Catharine Yeates’ 1838
summer cottage at 613 Fremont, previously considered the oldest survivor.
built these historic houses at 433 and 435 High, and who were their early
owners? The early history of the houses involves a couple generations of the
Bier family. Peter Bier, Sr. (1701-1781) was a German immigrant who arrived in
this country in 1748, bringing with him a teenaged son, Peter, Jr. (1732-1801),
and settling in Lancaster about 1760. Peter, Jr. was a cordwainer (shoemaker)
living in the southeast part of the city, but owning several other houses and
significant acreage, including on the Hill. Peter, Jr. married Elizabeth Buch
in 1760 at First Reformed Church, and they had a son, Peter III (1763-1843).
Peter III also was a shoemaker, but later in life a farmer. Peter III and his
wife Catharine had several children, including a fourth-generation Peter
(1797-1849) who became a doctor.
Jr., who died in 1801, appears to have acquired Bethelstown lot 28 shortly
before his death. Peter, Jr. may have built the house now at 433 High as soon
as he acquired the lot, or the lot may have already had the house on it when he
acquired it. If Peter, Jr. built it, the house dates to about 1800-01; if lot
28 already had a house on it when he bought it, the house dates to the late
1700s and was built by an unknown first owner. I suspect the house was already
there when Peter, Jr. bought the lot, because he died within six months, and
probably would not have had the time to build a house. This means the house
likely was built in the late 1700s.
As part of
Peter, Jr.’s estate, lot 28 and the house on it was inherited by his widow
Elizabeth. She may have lived in the house for a short time, but mostly she
rented the house to a series of tenants, including, in the years immediately
following Peter, Jr.’s death, to John Williams, a young mason who decades later
would end up owning most of the land in the southern half of Cabbage Hill.
Also, a few records suggest that John Drepperd may have lived in the house in
the early 1810s. Drepperd was a gunmaker whose father and grandfather were both
famous gunmakers supplying rifles for troops in the Revolutionary War.
about 1814, the widow Bier (or her son Peter III) seems to have added a frame
house to lot 28 (now 435 High). Both houses were occupied by tenants for the
next 10 years or so, but then, about 1824, Elizabeth transferred the deed for
the lot and houses to her son Peter III. Peter III continued to rent the houses
to tenants up until 1841 when he sold lot 28 and both houses to Jacob Liphart,
a real-estate investor who lived in Marietta.
rented the houses out for a short while, and then split the 62-foot-wide lot in
half, with the northeast half containing the one-story log house now numbered
433 High, and the southwest half containing the one-story frame house now
numbered 435 High. In 1844, Liphart sold the half with 433 to John Zimmerer, a
middle-aged tailor and his wife Sarah. Earlier, in 1842, Liphart had sold the
half with 435 to Robert Boas, a middle-aged laborer, his wife Franciska, and
their young son. Both Zimmerer and Boas were German immigrants, and both
families lived in the houses they had bought, each of which was valued at $220
Zimmerer died in 1857, and his wife Sarah sold the log house at 433 to Jacob
and Susan Glassbrenner for $300. The Glassbrenner family lived in the house for
a few years and then rented it out to tenants. After Jacob died, his widow
Susan, who had moved to Philadelphia, sold the house to William Lebkicher in
Franciska Boas lived in the frame house at 435 High for many years. Sometime in
the 1860s, they added the two-story brick house next door at 437 High,
squeezing it into the remaining part of their lot. Boas and his wife moved into
the larger 437 and rented 435 out to tenants until Boas’s death. In 1881, the
frame house at 435 High and its larger brick companion at 437 were sold as part
of Boas’s estate for $1,000 to John Kirsch. In 1920, after Kirsch had died, the
courts granted the property to his widow Barbara at a value of $500 as part of
her widow’s exemption.
Bier III would have difficulty recognizing his houses. The one-story log house
at 433 High is covered with vinyl siding, and the one-story frame house at 435
High is sheathed in gray form-stone. Both houses have had their original doors,
windows, and roofs replaced. Dormers have been replaced or enlarged, and
concrete steps now lead up to the front doors. But behind all the modern
features, more than 200 years of history lie hidden.
It is my
belief that 433 and 435 High Street are the only two houses that survive from
the original 25-30 houses built in old Bethelstown between 1762 and 1815. Since
Bethelstown preceded the development of the rest of the Hill, these two houses
also are the oldest surviving houses on all of Cabbage Hill.
Sometimes a little historical sleuthing can uncover some remarkable stories hiding just behind modern siding and form-stone on the old houses on the Hill.
The City of Lancaster has been awarded a $25,000 national grant from Bloomberg Philanthropies, in partnership with the SoWe Neighborhood Group and the Lancaster Housing Opportunity Partnership to create a street mural at the intersection of West Strawberry, South Mulberry, and West Vine Streets in the Cabbage Hill neighborhood. Support is also being provided by Sherwin Williams. This project is supported by a grant from the Bloomberg Philanthropies Asphalt Art Initiative which helps cities use art and community engagement to improve street safety and revitalize public space. The focus of the initiative is asphalt art: visual interventions on roadways, pedestrian spaces, and vertical infrastructure. Lancaster is one of 16 cities to receive the grant.
“To achieve the goals and programs outlined in our Ten-Year Plan for Public Art, we rely on grants like this. The support allows us to work directly with community members to create projects in their neighborhoods. An exciting part of this project is how it puts artists and neighbors together to solve design problems while working together with planners and engineers in our Department of Public Works. ” said Joanna Davis, City of Lancaster Public Art Manager.
The project is in its early stages and set to develop through the summer of 2021 with the goal to install in early fall. A steering committee consisting of Cabbage Hill residents, arts professionals and a member of the Public Art Advisory Board has begun to meet. The steering committee will help to move the project along by assisting in community outreach efforts, artist selection, and design review.
“Public art has many useful definitions, but for our Lancaster community it needs to involve the public. This intersection [project] at Vine, Mulberry and Strawberry is about the decisions and process through which the art will come to be. It’s an exciting time–so get involved and make your voice heard!” said Mimi Shapiro, City of Lancaster resident, artist, and Steering Committee member.
They were once
the dominant style of house on Cabbage Hill, but now they are far outnumbered
by Victorian rowhouses and duplexes. Most have been torn down, and many of the
ones that remain have been remodeled and disguised to the point that it’s hard
to recognize them anymore. Nevertheless, if you pay attention, you can still
see good examples of the original house style of old Cabbage Hill—the small one-story
house (also sometimes known as the one-and-a-half-story house).
what would eventually become known as Cabbage Hill had only a few scattered
houses and farm buildings, constructed mostly of hand-hewn logs. By 1800, a
cluster of houses had been built in Bethelstown—the first two blocks of Manor
and High Streets—while the rest of the Hill was still undeveloped. In
Bethelstown, in 1800, the number of houses was only about 20, with some made of
brick but still mostly of log, and nearly all one-story.
Bethelstown had grown to nearly 100 houses, with a few two-story houses
appearing but still with mostly one-story houses. Brick was fast becoming the
most popular construction material. Shortly after 1850, the rest of the Hill
began to be developed, with a mixture of two-story and one-story houses being
built, mostly with bricks. By 1875, brick houses were being built by the
hundreds all over the Hill, and nearly all of them were larger and of two or
three stories. The era of small one-story houses was mostly over, and as they began
to age, many were torn down and replaced with the larger, multi-story houses
that dominate the Hill today.
When the era
of small one-story houses ended about 1875, there were about 150 of them on
Cabbage Hill, as defined by the area bounded by Manor, West Strawberry,
Fremont, and Fairview. By the early 1900s, that number had been reduced to
about 120 as some were replaced with larger houses. Today, there are only 57
one-story houses left on the Hill. High Street and Manor Street, which include
what used to be old Bethelstown, have the most, with 26 and 16, respectively.
St. Joseph (5), Poplar (3), Lafayette (3), Fremont (2), Fairview (1), and West
Strawberry (1) don’t have nearly as many. Of the one-story houses that remain, 36
are brick and 21are wood frame.
of the 57 remaining one-story houses were built before the Civil War, with 31
of them being built in the 1850s and the other seven in the 1840s or earlier.
The great majority of the 38 houses built before the Civil War are in the first
two blocks of Manor and High. Another 11 of the remaining one-story houses were
built in the 1860s, and eight were built after 1870, including a few as late as
the 1880s and 1890s. The great majority of the one-story houses built in the
1860s and later are not on Manor and High, but in surrounding blocks where
development was spreading after the Civil War.
the remaining 57 one-story houses are relatively small, they are not all the
same size. The smaller houses have just two bays (a door and one window on the
front), with the smallest two-bay houses measuring only about 11 feet wide
(412, 545-547, and 549-551 Manor). The larger houses have four bays (a door and
three windows on the front), with the largest of these approaching 20 feet wide
(416, 539 High). All are at least as deep as they are wide, and some have
additions attached to the rear of the house, some of which are original. Square
footage ranges from less than 500 to more than 1,000 square feet. Most have two
to four rooms on the first floor and one to two rooms in the attic. Even though
many families were large, houses did not have to be big in the mid-1800s. Working-class
families did not own much furniture or have many personal belongings, and for
many, houses were mainly protection from the weather.
interesting feature of the one-story houses on the Hill is the fact that many
of them were built as pairs. Twenty-two of the remaining 57 houses are combined
in 11 pairs. In most of these pairs, the two houses are symmetrical pairs
(mirror images), where the house on each side is the same size but reversed in
terms of the location of the front door. In a couple of the pairs, one side is
bigger than the other, which makes them asymmetrical. In addition to the 11
pairs, there is one grouping where four houses are grouped into a connected row
(548-554 Manor). There are also several instances where one side of an original
pair has been converted into a two-story house, in which case the two-story
house has not been counted among the 57 remaining houses.
Most of the
one-story houses have first floors that were raised above street and sidewalk
level. Many are about two feet above street level, and some are three feet or
more above. There may be several reasons for this: (1) To minimize excavation;
(2) to allow the first floor at the rear of the house to be level with the higher
backyard; and (3) to elevate the front door above the dirt roads that would
frequently flood and get muddy when it rained.
of the remaining 57one-story houses have
been altered over the years. Some have had dormers added and some have had
their original dormers enlarged. Some of the brick houses have had their brick
painted. Many of the houses, both brick and frame, have been sheathed in
aluminum or vinyl siding, and a fair number have had form-stone installed on
their front sides. Most have had their original doors and windows replaced, and
some have had front porches added. Nearly all of them have had their original
roofs—wood or slate shingles—replaced with composition shingles or metal. Despite
the alterations to most of the houses, several have retained most of their
original character and no doubt look much the same as they did a century or
remaining one-story houses on Cabbage Hill are the survivors of a much larger population
of such houses on the Hill. Most of the survivors have seen more than ten
owners and dozens of different tenants, and some have undergone numerous and
sometimes major alterations, both externally and internally. But even with all
the changes, it is still possible to look at these houses today and imagine how
the Hill must have looked in its very early years, when only widely-spaced houses
like these were present. These early one-story houses are valuable in a
historic sense, and they deserve to be respected by their landlords and
tenants. It is important to make sure these old houses continue to survive as
picturesque reminders of old Cabbage Hill.
Note: Once research facilities open up
again, I will nail down a few loose ends and post a complete list of all 57
one-story houses on the Hill, along with dates of construction, builders’
names, and primary early owners.
A quiz for
Cabbage Hill residents: Which of the following five street names were actual
street names on Cabbage Hill in the nineteenth century? (1) Buttonwood Alley,
(2) Roberts Street, (3) West Washington Street, (4) Williams Lane, and (5) Slab
to the quiz: All five were actual street names on the Hill. OK, maybe the
question is a little unfair, even for old-timers. You would have to be well
over 100 years old to have any in-person
memory of some of the street names in the quiz.
The point is
that the names of many of the streets on the Hill have changed over the past
200 years. Specifically, there are 12 main streets in the historic core of
Cabbage Hill, which is bounded by Manor, West Strawberry, Fremont, and Fairview.
Those 12 streets have had more than 30 different names.
Street, the oldest street on the Hill, was already a well-traveled Native
American trading trail when Lancaster was founded in 1729. It was known as the
Blue Rock Road in the mid to late 1700s, because it led to an early ferry
across the Susquehanna at Blue Rock just south of Washington Boro. In the early
1800s, the southwestern stretch of the street was often called the Manor
Turnpike, because of the toll levied on travelers as they crossed the
southwestern city limits. Finally, in the mid-1800s, the street became known as
Strawberry Street is the second oldest street on the Hill, having been a dirt cowpath
that marked the southwest edge of central Lancaster when James Hamilton laid
out his building lots in 1729. It was known as Slab Alley as late as the 1840s
and then in the early 1850s, it became West Strawberry, to distinguish it from
its continuation known as East Strawberry on the other side of South Queen
On the opposite
end of the historic core of the Hill, Fairview Avenue has been around a long
time as a connecting road to South Prince and South Queen at Engleside. From
the mid-1800s to 1915, it was called Love Lane, and it has been Fairview Avenue
since then. The change of name to Fairview makes sense because it runs along a
ridge from which expansive views were possible. I can find no explanation for
its first, more amorous, name.
originated with the founding of Bethelstown in 1762 when building lots were
laid out on either side of its first two blocks (400 and 500 blocks). By the
1850s, High had been extended southwest to Love Lane, bridging the small stream
at the bottom of the hill where New Dorwart is today. Presumably it was called
High because of the location of the 400 block on a high point known as Dinah’s
Street has a complicated naming history. The 400 block of St. Joseph was
established in 1850 when St. Joseph Catholic Church was built. At the time the
church was built, the street it fronted was called Union Street (not to be
confused with today’s Union a few blocks to the southeast, which didn’t exist
yet). Then, in the early 1850s, just to make things even more confusing, the
street was sometimes referred to as Poplar Street (before today’s Poplar a
block over was established). Finally, by the end of the 1850s, the 400 and 500
blocks were renamed St. Joseph. However, at that time, St. Joseph did not
extend beyond what is now New Dorwart, and in the meantime the 700 block
between Fairview and Laurel had been laid out, and the street there was known
as West Washington Street. In the late 1850s, when the two streets were
connected by the building of a bridge over the small stream at the future New
Dorwart, the entire street became known as St. Joseph.
we’ve brought up Poplar Street……When St. Joseph Church was built in 1850, the
small alley behind the church with no houses on it had no name. In the late
1850s, it became Poplar and it was extended to the stream at the bottom of the
hill at about the same time the future 700 block of Poplar was laid out on the
far side of the stream. In 1870, building lots were laid out on the east side
of the 400 block of Poplar. A year later, on the other side of the stream, the
700 block was named Poplar Alley. In the late 1870s, the street was connected
with a bridge over the stream, and the whole street was named Poplar Street.
farther east, Fremont Street was established in the late 1850s, starting with
the 700 block between Fairview and Laurel. In 1870, when the building lots were
laid out along the 400 block of Poplar, so too were building lots on both sides
of the 400 block of Fremont. In the early 1870s, the two ends of Fremont were
connected by completing the street in between them. Like Love Lane, I don’t know
the origin of the name of Fremont Street, although when the street was first
laid out in the 1850s, John C. Fremont was a popular national personality who
had been an explorer of the West and then the Republican opponent of James
Buchanan in the 1856 presidential election.
Now heading back
to the west……West Vine Street started as a narrow alley behind the
Bethelstown lots that fronted on the southeast side of High in 1762. The first
inkling of the street that would become West Vine was born between Fairview and
Laurel, where Buttonwood Alley was established in the late 1850s. When the
blocks to the northwest up to West Strawberry were established by the 1880s,
they were called Buttonwood Street. Buttonwood was renamed West Vine in 1890 as
the southwestern continuation of the older West Vine on the other side of West
Next, to a
street that cuts across the Hill from the northwest to the southeast—Laurel
Street. It was first named in the early 1850s when it was a private lane
providing access to the 25-acre property of John Williams between Manor and St.
Joseph, and naturally enough it was called Williams Lane. In the 1860s, it was briefly
known as New German Street, and then just New Street, and by about 1870, it
became known as Laurel Alley, possibly named for local vegetation. From about 1885
to today, it has been Laurel Street.
northwest-southeast street is Filbert Street. From the establishment of
Bethelstown in 1762, there had always been an alley where the first block of
Filbert is now. In the late 1850s to early 1860s, it was known locally as
Gougler’s Alley, so named because of the house of Jacob and Rebecca Gougler at
its intersection with Manor. But it wasn’t until 1871, when the city named or
renamed all its alleys, that it became Filbert Alley. About 1890, Filbert Alley
was promoted to Filbert Street. Because of irregular property boundaries near
the old St. Joseph Cemetery, Filbert had to be offset slightly at St. Joseph
alley that eventually grew up to be a street is Lafayette Street. In old
Bethelstown, the lots on the southeast side of Manor extended back to meet the
lots on the northwest side of High. They met at a narrow alley that would
eventually become Lafayette Alley. In the late 1850s, houses had started to be
built fronting the alley and the 400 block of the alley was widened to become
Lafayette Street. At the same time, the 700 block of Lafayette was established,
with a gap in the street where the 500 and 600 blocks would soon be. By about
1890, the two developed ends of the street met in the middle, making one
continuous Lafayette Street. The street may have been named for the Lafayette Hotel,
which existed on Manor in the 1840s and 1850s, and backed to the alley that
would become Lafayette.
streets that run from West Strawberry to Fairview had to contend with the small
stream that used to run where New Dorwart is today. For most of those streets,
the last segments to be built (the 500 and 600 blocks) were the ones nearest
the stream. In the 1860s, it appears that a rough path that ran along the
stream valley was known as Roberts Lane, likely named for Anthony Roberts who
owned land nearby. In the 1880s, the city placed a 6-foot-high brick sewer
under the stream, diverted the stream into it, and built New Dorwart on top of
it. New Dorwart was first named South Dorwart, a name that faded gradually over
time and was finally replaced with New Dorwart about the 1920s. New Dorwart had
to be offset at Lafayette, and again at High, because of bends in the
now-vanished stream around which early houses had to be built.
Now, if your
eyes have not yet completely glazed over with all these street names………In honor
of this month’s Valentine’s Day, if anybody has any ideas on why Fairview
Avenue was originally called Love Lane, please comment with your ideas!
once had its very own volunteer fire company. From 1838 to 1882, it served the
West King and Manor Street corridors. Starting very humbly as the Humane Hose
Company, it fought many fires and was a source of much neighborhood pride.
Hose Company was established in 1838 by a group of civic-minded citizens of the
west and southwest sections of Lancaster. In August of that year, they
purchased a hose carriage from a company in Philadelphia and paraded it through
the streets of Lancaster, with the “uniform of the members neat and
appropriate” and its members “entitled to much credit for their zeal and public
1839, the charter of the Humane Hose Company was approved, limiting the company
to 40 subscribing members and establishing its hierarchy of officers and
directors. The company rented part of a lot on the north side of West King just
above Concord, and built a small frame building in which to keep its hose
In the early
1840s, a few of Lancaster’s more established fire companies had their own
horse-drawn, hand-pumper engines, but the Humane only had a hose carriage,
which was simply a large reel holding a wound-up hose on a four-wheeled
carriage. The members of the Humane would pull the carriage to the scene of a fire
using ropes, unwind the hose and hook it to one of the city’s new fire plugs, and
use the hose to fill the tanks of the hand-pumpers of the other companies.
1853, for $225, the Humane purchased the rear portion of a lot on West King to
be the site of their new larger hose house. The Humane’s lot fronted 21 feet on
the northwest side of Manor and extended 30 feet in depth. The Humane built a
two-story brick hose house on the site, approximately where the rear parking
lot for Reveron Electronic, Inc. is today, across from 424 Manor. The hose
house was topped with a bell tower from which fire calls would ring out.
At the time
the Humane’s new hose house was built, the company boasted 75 active members.
Only six were property owners; the others were minors or those “who earn their
bread by hard labor”. Their hose carriage had become old and was in need of
repair, eight sections of hose were deemed too old to function dependably, and
the company was $550 in debt. Other volunteer companies also were struggling
with hose problems, and in 1854, the city allocated $3,000 to be shared among the
Humane and four other companies for the purchase of new hoses.
By 1857, the
Humane’s situation had improved to the point that it was able to purchase its
first engine—a used hand-pumper purchased from the Union Fire Company for $300.
The hand-pumper engine was a metal tank mounted on a horse-drawn, four-wheeled
carriage. In the tank, which was filled with water, was a set of pistons that
were operated by long horizontal levers called brakes extending from either
side of the carriage. Teams of men moved the brakes up and down in rapid
succession to activate the pistons, drawing water in from a hose connected to a
water source with one stroke, and then driving the water out under pressure
through a hose leading to the site of the fire with the next stroke.
War had a major impact on the Humane. The call for soldiers drew on the same
pool of young men who were active in the Humane. In early September 1862, about
10 days before the Battle of Sharpsburg (Antietam), the Governor of
Pennsylvania asked for all able-bodied men to start military drills in their
neighborhoods, as the Confederate Army was moving north to invade the state. As
a result, a large number of men from the “Hill” met at the Humane’s hose house
to get organized. One of the speakers noted that 69 of the Humane’s volunteers
had become soldiers and that only 18-20 volunteers were still available locally
to fight fires.
mid-1860s, the Humane decided that it should have a steam-pumper like the one
the Union Fire Company had recently acquired. A steam-pumper consisted of a
steam boiler mounted on a horse-drawn, four-wheel carriage. The steam boiler
was used to pressurize the water, forcing a stream of water through a hose
directed at a fire. In 1866, the members of the Humane began canvassing the
neighborhood for subscriptions to buy a new steam-pumper.
January 1867, after enough money had been pledged, a committee was appointed to
purchase a steam-pumper. The committee went to Philadelphia to purchase the new
apparatus, and a couple weeks later the new steam-pumper was delivered to
Lancaster. The steamer was purchased for $2,800 from the Undine Steam Fire
Company of Holland, New York, and had been built by A.B. Taylor.
On a cold January
day, a parade was held to deliver the new steamer to the Humane’s house on
Manor. Six Lancaster fire companies were represented, in addition to 75 men
from the Humane. After the parade was over, the men of the Humane were anxious
to see their new engine perform, so they took it back down to the square, where
they fired it up and threw a stream of water 200 feet up North Queen.
In the early
1870s, the Humane is said to have declined in membership, and was saved from
folding only by a reorganization in late 1875. Hugh Fulton was elected
President, and the company officially modified its charter in April 1876,
taking on the unwieldy new name of the Humane Steam Fire Engine and Forcing-Hose
Company No. 6.
revitalized Humane decided to move out of its aging house on Manor. A lot was
purchased for $2,100 not far away on the north side of the 400 block of West
King, and the foundation for a new larger building was laid there in 1878. The
new engine house cost almost $5,300, and was completed in 1880. It still stands
at 411 West King and is currently occupied by Station One Center for the Arts.
opening of the new West King engine house in October 1880 was marked by a ball
attended by 150 couples. The ball was held in the large second-floor room of
the new house, which measured 40 by 100 feet. The newly energized version of
the Humane seemed to be on its way, but within about two years, it went out of
business when Lancaster City decided to take over the firefighting services
that had heretofore been handled by the numerous volunteer companies.
1882, the new city fire department was established, and in June 1883, the city
purchased the Humane’s three-year-old house on West King for $5,200. The city
designated the house on West King as its Station House No. 1, which would
remain in use for many decades.
Hose Company on Manor is now a forgotten ghost of old Cabbage Hill, but in its
time it was a formidable firefighting organization that helped protect the
Hill’s buildings for some 40 years, as well as an important part of the Hill’s
We are hiring! We are seeking a dedicated community member to serve as a Housing Location Specialist. The Housing Location Specialist will develop and maintain working relationships with Lancaster landlords and property managers for the purpose of locating and securing housing for residents residing in Southern Lancaster City
Housing Location Specialist (part of the SoWe program)
Tabor Community Services, a
non-profit community benefit organization providing programs and
services to foster housing and financial stability in Lancaster County,
PA, is seeking qualified candidates for a
full-time Housing Location Specialist employed and supervised by
Tabor/LHOP as part of the SoWe program.
The Housing Location Specialist
will develop and maintain working relationships with Lancaster
landlords and property managers for the purpose of locating and securing
housing for residents residing in Southern Lancaster City. For the full
list of functions, please read the full job description.
Key Qualifications include:
2 years of post-secondary education required; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
One year of relevant experience required; two or more years preferred. Experience working in rental housing field preferred.
Commitment to housing as a human right.
Negotiation and sales skills are essential.
Ability to understand the
interests and concerns of landlords/property managers, and develop
effective working relationships with them.
Knowledge of available affordable rental housing in the County, building codes and safety standards for rental housing.
Knowledge/understanding of tenant’s rights and responsibilities
Excellent communication skills especially in listening and mediation.
Strong organizational skills with ability to meet a demanding workload.
Detail-orientated to complete requirements of files and contract compliance.
Ability to speak, write, and understand English is required; fluency in Spanish preferred.
Proficiency using computers and Microsoft Office.
Sensitivity to cultural and socio-economic characteristics of population served.
The ability to establish and maintain respectful relationships and healthy boundaries with residents.
The ability to work collaboratively with other personnel and/or service providers.
Valid driver’s license, a car, and willingness to travel in the community
One of the better-preserved
one-story houses in Lancaster is the blue house with the red door at 434 West
King Street. This four-bay, center-chimney, Germanic-style house is typical of
the many hundreds of such houses, also sometimes known as one-and-a-half-story
houses, that once dominated the architecture of the city during the Federal
period of the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. The 550-square-foot
house is located on the very northern edge of the SoWe project area, less than
a block outside of Cabbage Hill.
How old is
the house? Who built it? Who owned it over the years? There is not much
information available to answer these questions, and what little exists is somewhat
contradictory. Real-estate websites date the house as early as the 1790s and as
late as 1880. A 1985 survey by the Historic Preservation Trust and a 1995
report by the City of Lancaster both refer to the property as the Geise House
and date it to about 1840. But an old map and tax records show that a Barbara Geiss
owned the house next door instead. To try to resolve these conflicts and answer
the questions above, extensive research into historic deed, tax, directory,
newspaper, and other sources was undertaken.
of that research indicates that 434 West King has an interesting and fairly
complicated history. Construction of this venerable old one-story frame house probably
was completed in 1817. The lot where the house is located was originally 64
feet wide along the south side of West King and 245 feet deep to what would
eventually become Campbell Alley. The house’s early history is closely tied to
the Eberman family, a prominent family in Lancaster in the late 1700s.
III (1776-1846) probably began building the house at 434 in late 1816. John III,
a cashier and bank treasurer, was the son of John Eberman, Jr. (1749-1835), a
famous clockmaker whose clocks are highly valued today. John, Jr. also was a
prominent Lancaster citizen who served as Chief Burgess and Justice of the
Peace, and as a sergeant in the Revolutionary War. John, Jr. made and installed
the four-dial clock in the steeple of the second courthouse in the square about
1785. John, Jr.’s father, John Eberman, Sr. (1722-1805), was a soap boiler and
tallow chandler who immigrated to Lancaster from Germany in the mid-1740s. The
Ebermans were a prolific family: John, Sr. had 12 children, John, Jr. 13, and
John III 10.
members of the extended Eberman family owned 434 from 1816 to 1838. Before John
III had even completed the house, his first tenant moved in. Tax records show
that John III rented the house “unfinished to P. Shugar’s” in 1817. (Presumably
John III and/or Shugar completed the house shortly thereafter.) Peter Shugar
was related to John III through marriage; he had married John III’s aunt,
Elizabeth Eberman, in 1796. Upon marrying into the Eberman family, Shugar took
over the aging John, Sr.’s soap and chandler business. The Shugars had six
Peter Shugar, whose surname was later anglicized to Schucker, died a couple
years after moving into 434. Immediately after Peter’s death, his wife
Elizabeth bought the house, which was valued at $250, from her nephew, John
III. A few years later, in 1823 or 1824, Elizabeth divided the lot into two,
keeping 434 on the western half of the lot for herself and selling the vacant eastern
half of the lot back to her nephew, John III. By 1829, John III had built a
one-story frame house on the eastern half of the lot, the house number for
which would eventually be 430. (This house, which had a brick front and was a
little larger than 434, was torn down around 1900 and replaced with the three-story
building that now stands to the east of 434.)
In 1830 or
1831, the ownership of 434 became more complicated. Elizabeth Shugar sold the
house to Jacob Eberman, a shoemaker who was Elizabeth’s nephew, the son of her
older brother Philip. Jacob was also Elizabeth’s son-in-law. He had married his
first cousin, Peter and Elizabeth’s daughter Sarah Shugar, in 1824. Jacob’s
ownership of 434 did not last very long. By 1832, Jacob and Sarah and their
children had moved to Wooster, Ohio, selling 434 to Jacob’s cousin William
Eberman, the son of John, Jr., the clockmaker, and the younger brother of John
III. (Jacob and Sarah would return to Lancaster about a year later, and live in
a one-story house on West King across from 434.) William Eberman, who bought
434 from Jacob, was a tinsmith and an innkeeper. William also bought the house
at 430 at the same time.
Eberman owned 434 and 430 until 1838 when he apparently ran into financial
trouble and was forced to sell the two houses to pay off his debts. Dr. Charles
Herbst, a pharmacist, bought both houses at a public sale in September 1838. In
a newspaper advertisement for the sale, the houses were described as “two one
story frame dwelling houses, one of which has a brick front a wood shed etc.”
on a “full lot of ground on the south side of West King Street.”
Herbst sold both houses on April 1, 1840. The house at 430 was sold to Barbara
Geiss, a widow with a young son, for $475. The house at 434 was sold for $425
to Margaret Gantz, a widow who had two children. At about the same time widow
Gantz bought 434, she remarried, to Joseph Kunkle. Joseph Kunkle was a peddler,
and he and Margaret had four more children together over the next decade.
died in the mid-1860s. His wife Margaret continued living in 434 until her
death in 1890. Margaret’s will stipulated that her daughters Mary and Rose were
to continue to live in 434 as long as they wished. The two sisters lived there
following Margaret’s death for five years until Rose came down from the attic
level one day to discover her sister Mary dead in the summer kitchen.
Rose Kunkle continued
living in 434 until she married Leo Myers in 1909 and moved with him to St.
Joseph Street, where Leo ran a grocery store. (Leo Myers’ grocery was located
in the recently-painted light green house on the corner of Filbert and St.
Joseph Streets, with “Welcome to Cabbage Hill” painted on its side.) When Leo
died in 1913, Rose moved back to 434, living there alone until her death in
death, the administrator for Margaret Kunkle’s estate sold the house at public
sale to Sarah and Jack Winkoff, who paid $4,380 for the house and half lot. An
advertisement for the public sale stated that the “Lot fronts 33 feet on the
south side of West King street…” and “The improvements consist of a 1 ½ story
frame house, with six rooms.”
rented out 434 until 1965, when they sold it to Ronald Cook, who lived there
until 1973, when he sold it to Carol Miller, who lived there into the 1980s. The
current owner is David Aviles Morales, who has maintained it without changing
its basic historical appearance. The house is now available for booking as an
answer the earlier questions: 434 West King was built about 1817 by John
Eberman III. For a 203-year-old house, it has not had very many owners, with
the Eberman, Kunkle, and Minkoff families accounting for nearly 150 of those years.
A good name for the house might be the Eberman-Kunkle House, in honor of its
builder and the family that owned it the longest.
survivor from an earlier time in Lancaster’s history, 434 West King reminds us
of what much of Lancaster used to look like. Hopefully, it will continue to
have owners dedicated to its preservation, and serve as a reminder of our
history for many years to come.